By giving your child an incentive to brush and floss their teeth, they may find that it becomes a fun part of their daily routine. Whether they’re brushing away the “sugar bugs”, trying to see how many funny faces they can make while reaching towards their back molars, continue reading to discover fun tricks and tips for your child to brush and floss their teeth.
1. Start Oral Hygiene Early
Getting into the habit of brushing and flossing early on is always a good idea. It is recommended that you begin dental treatment for your child before getting their first tooth. Ways you can start this as early as infancy is with a few simple steps:
- Wipe down their gums nightly with a soft, damp cloth.
- When their teeth arrive, you can switch to a toothbrush, usually around six months.
- Floss once their teeth start touching, which will begin a few years after you start brushing.
When your child develops these habits at an early age, they will ensure proper oral hygiene.
2. Create A Game
There are several different ways you can create a game for your child when brushing and flossing their teeth.
- Set a timer on your phone or buy an hourglass sand timer, and challenge your child to brush until the phone chimes or the sand falls to the bottom. It will eventually become natural for them to brush for a few minutes.
- Play the chorus of their favorite song once or twice. Not only will this help them establish repetition in the music and the hygiene, but it will make their daily and nightly routine exciting!
3. Tell A Story
When trying to get reluctant brushers to participate, experts say using an engaging story is the way to go. Make up a tale about “sugar bugs having a battle between teeth,” and your child is the superhero with the power of oral hygiene. You can also try reading a book about taking care of your teeth or letting your child practice brushing their stuffed animal’s teeth. There are many resources nowadays to provide your child with something to relate to.
If you’re looking for a dentist that’ll help your child with their brushing and flossing routine, you’ve come to the right place. The dentists at Bubble’s will create a fun and exciting experience for your child. To book an appointment with us today, you can give us a call at (617) 655-9410 or request an appointment on our website. We look forward to hearing from you soon!